I’ve never been much of a tablet girl because I feel I am much faster and efficient when I’m working from my laptop. Because I charge most of my clients for actual time spent I do my best to work from the devices best suited for the “job” and where I am most efficient. Therefore my tablet use is primarily for enjoyment only (web browsing, reading, social media, etc.).
Up until June 2014 my tablet exposure was with the first generation iPad that I got when they first came out. (Apple fans: Am I allowed to call the iPad a tablet?) The iPad was becoming increasingly less useful to me as many of the apps were no longer compatible with first generation and as a result I wasn’t entirely devastated when my iPad met an untimely demise this April when the screen was badly cracked as a result of my stupidity (not having the case closed before putting it into my luggage). I replaced the iPad with a Kindle Fire since it gave me what I needed for my leisurely needs.
I should have held out for a bit longer.
I was over the moon excited to receive a Sony Xperia Z2 tablet from Verizon last month. I’ve been using it quite a bit (primarily for enjoyment purposes) and this post won’t go into detail on all of the features.
NOTE: at the end of this post I have some other Xperia Z2 posts you may enjoy reading.
These are just some of the reasons why I’m loving this tablet:
- Android based (Yes, I am partial to Android devices)
- The lightest and thinnest tablet currently on the market (less than 16 oz.)
- Military spec encryption (you do need to set this feature up as it’s not on by default)
- Various screen unlock options including facial recognition (You DO have your devices secured, right?!)
- If you lose your device you can remotely wipe all data using myXperia (for some reason mine isn’t working so I need to go into a Verizon store to have them help me figure out what’s wrong so I can’t tell you from personal experience how accurate the location service is)
- They have over 18 million games, songs and movies in their library. Set up a Sony Entertainment Network account and you receive six free pre-selected movies (I’ve finally watched a movie during a flight).
- If you take a lot of photos you will enjoy the selection of Smart Social photo apps (My niece had a blast playing with AR Effects and adding dinosaurs and sea creatures to the photos she was taking)
- Waterproof. As in submersible in water! You can have this tablet in up to six feet of water for up to 30 minutes! Since I live on Florida’s Gulf Coast I did ask if it could use it in saltwater. You can but they do advise that you rinse it with fresh water to avoid having the salt corrode connection points. (I did record some pool videos and it was unsettling to knowingly walk into the water holding a device in my hand)
Although I rarely record videos I was anxious to use the tablet for recording so I could familiarize myself with it.
- The quality is fantastic (though if you upload directly from the tablet to Facebook you will experience some quality loss – but that’s a Facebook thing)
- It was super easy to trim the video so I could upload just the portion I wanted to Facebook (I’m all about easy, I rarely have the patience to muddle through trying to figure things out)
- I purchased a tablet mount and tripod from Amazon so I could record one of my dance lessons (video below). What surprised me most? The tablet clearly picked up nearly all of my chit chat with my instructor despite the fact the recording was taking place directly next to the music which I assumed would drown out the chit chat.
Bottom line: I love the Sony Xperia Z2 tablet! The one feature that particularly wowed me is the encryption. With it I’d be comfortable doing client bookkeeping on the tablet.
Enjoy my Salsa dance lesson video!
As member of a pretty cool team of influencers, I received the tablet (with a line of service) from Verizon. No additional compensation was provided nor did I promise positive feedback. All opinions are my own.
Other Sony Xperia Z2 posts you may enjoy: